High School Choir
Goals & Procedures
Goals & Procedures
- Get the choir as a whole to produce a good choral sound
- Get individuals to experience improvement in their vocal performance
- Introduce students to a wide range of choral music
- Rehearse “concert” songs to a level we can all be proud to perform
- Help everyone to experience the joy of singing
- Have fun making music together
- Make good use of our rehearsal time
- Follow the Cardinal Pride Universal Expectations
- Choose music carefully
- Sing a lot of different songs, not just our “concert” ones
- All students will be expected to follow the posted Cardinal Pride Universal Expectations at all times.
- In addition, all students will be expected to follow these special Music Department Expectations: No beverages, gum, candy, or food in the music area. No backpacks, purses, or materials from other classes in the music area during class time.
- Any student not following the Cardinal Pride Universal Expectations or Music Department Expectations will be given a warning – verbal or visual.
- If that same student is not following the expectations a second time, they will receive a “check”, lose points for the rehearsal, and will be expected to stay after class to talk with me.
- Any further issues on that day, they will lose MORE points, and will be given a “minor”.
- Continued disruption and/or more severe actions may require a “major” and a pass to the MS/HS Office.
- Each choir rehearsal, you get to start with a fresh slate. However, if any student continues to receive warnings and checks habitually, we will have to work out a plan together.
- A minor will also be given any time you come to class without your ipad, or with your ipad not having enough battery to fully participate in class.
- A major will be given any time I see a phone in your hands, as per school policy.
- This is a participation class. There will rarely be any homework to be done outside of class. Therefore, grading will be based on participation. There will be a possibility of 20 points per rehearsal. As stated earlier, points will be lost for not following the Cardinal Pride Universal Expectations. Points may also be taken away for not participating fully – not having your music out, not singing, not having a pencil, being in the wrong seat, etc.
- Our performances are like unit exams. They are the best opportunity you have to show that you have learned what has been taught during the course of the unit. Also, a choir is a group of people singing TOGETHER, so everyone has to take the exam at the exact same time. Therefore, attendance at all our performances is extremely important to each individual and to the group as a whole. This is why the performances are worth 200 points. Please take note of the dates that are included in this document – mark them on your calendar and make sure that your parents are made aware of them NOW.
- First assignment – Give the list of events to your parents and have one of them sign the attached paper stating that they have received it and are aware of your commitment to attend all required events. Add your signature to let me know that you understand what is expected of you in choir. This assignment is worth 20 points.